Wednesday, November 18, 2009

One of ThEse DaYs

 There are 72 rooms listed in the brochure for this place. I have found 79, not counting the partitioned-off section of the attic and only counting the horshoe-shaped old cellar under the main building as one space despite most people mistakenly thinking it was actually two or three chambers. There's a lot about this place that isn't fully or accurately accounted for in their bochures, reports or records. I know. I've been doing some digging. Both figuratively and literally. I'm always exploring the place. Doctor West approves of my explorations. He says it's a healthy enough hobby. He even gave me a signed pass just in case the guards, orderlies or other staff get uppity. But this time I've gone too far.

There's no going back now. Not now. Never again.

I hate basements. The old cellars under the main building don't really count as they are really just refurbished caves that open out of the side of the rocky hill on which everything else squats like a cold, stone toad. But there are other places dug out below this place, tunnels and basements and another almost natural cavern back behind the old cellars. No one goes back there very much any more. There are probably only three or four people alive who even know about this place. It's cold and dark and damp and I'm never going back there again. They can drag me down to the Resonator in Room 102 or even Room 109 downstairs from the cafeteria where they store the rat poison and Jell-O. I'm not going back. Not for anything.

I wish that I'd never dug up her bones...